Colonel Henry Bathurst Hanna (1839-1914), London, to 1907 
From 1907 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Colonel Henry Bathurst Hanna in 1907 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original List of Persian and Indian Drawings, S.I. 1564, Miscellaneous section of Inventory, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.Patch College Jersey Sec White Stitched Crimson Amari Cooper 9 Tide
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Weeden Stitched Brandon White Cowboys Combat Pro College Jersey Previous Owner(s)
Colonel Henry Bathurst Hanna (C.L. Freer source) 1839 - 1914
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
The powerful empress Nur Jahan (1577-1645) was an ardent patron of gardens. This intimate composition depicts the empress relaxing with her husband, Jahangir, and Prince Khurram, the future emperor Shah Jahan, in what is almost certainly the Ram Bagh garden. Nur Jahan remodeled this Agra garden in 1621, shortly before the painting was created.
The Ram Bagh epitomizes the imperial Mughal (1526-1858) garden aesthetic that thoroughly integrated nature and architecture. Carpets like fields of flowers, wall paintings of cypresses, open porches with blossom-adorned columns, and water channels that ran from exterior to interior contributed to a fluid, delightful whole. Delicately scented breezes and burbling fountains further set the stage for royal pastimes.
- Published References
- Ruby Lal. Empress: The Astonishing Reign of Nur Jahan. New York, NY. bottom of 3rd illustration page.
- I.N. Khan Arshi. Black Taj Mahal: The Emperor's Missing Tomb. New Delhi. .
- Amina Okada Jean Louis Nou. A Jewel of Mughal India: The Mauseleum of I'timad ud-Daulah. Milan. title page image.
- The Moonlight Garden: New Discoveries at the Taj Mahal. Washington, 2000. p. 23.
- foreward by Milo Cleveland Beach. The Magnificent Mughals. New York. p. 30, fig. 2.
- Milo Cleveland Beach. The Imperial Image: Paintings for the Mughal Court. Exh. cat. Washington, 1981. cat. 32, pp. 33, 205-206.
- Facets of Indian Art: A Symposium Held at the Victoria and Albert on 26, 27, 28 April and May 1, 1982. London. p. 59, fig. 14.
- Thomas Lawton Linda Merrill. Freer: a legacy of art. Washington and New York, 1993. p. 129, fig. 88.
- Milo Cleveland Beach. Colonel Hanna's Indian PaintingsPlayoff Stitched Red Patch 2016 Football Donot National College Crimson 30 Hightower Tide Championship Jersey. vol. 118, no. 258 London, August 1983. pp. 154-159, fig. 2.
- Milo Cleveland Beach. The Imperial Image: Paintings for the Mughal Court., 2nd. Washington and Ahmedabad, India, 2012. cat.35, pp. 162-3.
- Richard Ettinghausen. New Pictorial Evidence of Catholic Missionary Activity in Mughal India (Early XVIIth Century). Munster. p. 391, fig. 1-2.
- Collection Area(s)
- South Asian and Himalayan Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum